Thursday, September 25, 2008

Letter to My Congressman. NO Bailouts

Congressman Inslee,

I'm writing you today on an issue that I feel is a part of a defining moment in this country's history.

There are massive shifts occurring in credit markets right now and those shifts are going to have a significant impact on our ways of life.

The Administration via Secretary Paulson has submitted a ridiculous bailout legislation plan that it appears many in congress are taking seriously. Senator Dodd has even crafted legislation that, while significantly cleaning up Paulson's proposal, still follows in lock step.

I've heard members of congress in hearings talking about how it's up to the administration to explain why this bailout is necessary, as if the throngs of angry constituents don't understand.

I want you to know, Congressman, that I do understand. I understand and I am angry. I am angry as I was when we launched the Iraq war, when we passed the patriot act, and when I saw that FEMA had almost no plan or competence to handle the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

I understand that our economy is in deep trouble. That a massive deleveraging event is taking place. I understand that this means we will be facing a lot of hardship in the years to come.

But I also can see that there is nothing that can, or should be done about his deleveraging, other than to take measures to make it orderly and to work to support our fellow citizens when the time comes.

Paulson's plan is flawed in so many despicable and obvious ways. But in one core way it is flawed that should stand out.

The plan is guilty of trying to keep "the debt party" going, when there is no reasonable cause to assume that it should.

The debt bubble has eroded much of our economy. While we enjoyed the temporary benefits of massive leverage much of our industry was displaced through movements to other labor markets. We've been lax in exploring new technologies in energy production, and energy efficiency. But it is that very sort of productivity that we find ourselves desperately in need of now.

We are in trouble, and there is a way to deal with the trouble that helps us begin growing new and better institutions that can help us rise out of this decline. But the bailout proposal is not only thievery and economic terrorism on the Administration's part, it is also a denial on the part of others who would like to keep us in the dysfunctional state we've been in.

Congressman, I don't think I'm the only constituent who understands.

Please filibuster any bailout proposal.

Thank you,

Caleb Mardini

contact your senator now.

contact your representative now.

No comments: